Car insurance is an agreement between the two parties:
- a person or entity (the policyholder)
- an insurance company
The agreement delivers financial protection and coverage for various losses or damages. These occurred after owning and operating a motor vehicle, such as:
- a car
- other types of vehicles
Comparing types of car insurances
Below are the different types of car insurance coverage and compare car insurance :
- Liability coverage. It covers the policyholder’s legal responsibility for bodily injury or property damage in an accident for which they are at fault.
- Collision coverage. It covers the cost of repairs or replacement of an insured vehicle. It is applied if it is damaged in a collision, regardless of who is at fault.
- Comprehensive coverage. It covers damage to the insured vehicle caused by events other than collisions, such as theft, vandalism, natural disasters, or hitting an animal.
- Medical payments or Personal Injury Protection. These cover medical expenses for the policyholder and passengers injured in an accident, regardless of fault.
- Uninsured/Underinsured motorist coverage. It provides coverage if the policyholder is involved in an accident with a driver without insurance. Or, if it has inadequate insurance to cover the damages.
- Towing and rental car reimbursement. Some policies include coverage for towing and rental car expenses incurred after an accident.
Purpose of car insurance
The immediate purpose of car insurance is to mitigate the financial risk associated with:
- damage to the insured vehicle
- liability for injuries or property damage
Car insurance concerns the policyholder paying a regular premium to the insurance company in exchange for the insurer’s oath to cover specific expenses or losses as outlined in the policy.
The specific types of car insurance coverage you need depend on various factors, including:
- state’s requirements
- value of vehicle
- driving habits
- tolerance for risk
It’s important to carefully evaluate your needs and consult with an insurance agent to create a policy that offers a proper protection level for your circumstances.
Is car insurance costly?
The cost of car insurance may change based on various elements. Some of the initial factors that may affect the cost of a car insurance are:
- Driving history
- Type of vehicle
- Coverage level
- Credit history
- Annual mileage
Due to these elements, a car insurance costs can change. It is a good practice to occasionally review your insurance policy and compare the quotes to the other car insurance companies.